Saturday, November 19, 2011

82 days since I made a mental commitment.... now let's hope the physical will follow

Well... 82 days ago was one of the scariest days mentally for me, when I decided to since up for my first ever full IronMan in August of 2012... So most of you might think I have been working on staying in shape since that time, but sad to admit that has not been possible, because somehow my body went from 38 to 83 overnight...
So, a quick summary... since registering for the event, I have been out of the country more than in the country traveling for work, which is when it all started. I have had bronchitis & walking pneumonia with a cough that has lasted almost 7 weeks. Now that this is fading, I am now suffering from 2 herniated disks in my lower back, sciatica and a pulled groin. Funny part, is I have no clue how this happened, just know my friends are enjoying calling me grandma while trying to build a bubble around me :-)

Instead of 'physically' training, I have decided to work on my mental training & as my friend Khem would say start operation bubble to avoid any future injuries. So instead, I am reading a great book called "Inner Strength" as well as a book that Mary gave me called "Becoming an Ironman" to occupy my time without loosing focus (and to take a break from school books as that is all I have been reading for 2 years now)!! These have been a great eye opener and actually have me pumped up & excited to get back in the saddle. I am SO READY to be released to begin training again.

This brings us to today -  November 19th :-) Today was the 1st Saturday workout for the new triathlon season of Team in Training (part of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society) Although I could only walk with the team due to injury, it was still a great morning. It always amazes me to see so many people give up their Saturdays to train for a triathlon while raising money to help those with blood cancers. This is the beginning of my 7th year training & fundraising with Team in Training and I will never get tired of it. I was also blessed to walk with Doug today, a husband, father and also our honored hero for the season. Doug, who is in remission now, was just diagnosed last year with Leukemia two days before his 52nd birthday. He helped put back into perspective WHY I do this year after year, it is not about training for an event, it is about helping to save lives & I am blessed to be able to do so!!! You can also track my TNT info & help out if you would like at http://pages.teamintraining.org/rm/lavatri12/tauth

SO................I will keep up my rehab, get better, get back to training & get to my first event of 2012 with TNT on April 1st.. once that is done, the training will get even more intense as I move onto the biggest physical challenge of my life. IronMan Canada 2012~~

Hope to be back soon with another update on my continued journey! I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

1 comment:

  1. Tori,

    Good luck with your rehab. Being injured is no fun.

    I look forward to following your journey to the Ironman.

    Thanks for all you do to make a difference in creating a world without cancer.

    GO Tori!

    ReplyDelete